Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Why Decisions?

As I was getting ready for bed tonight, I was inspired by something I have been thinking about a lot lately--decisions.  In a way, our whole life is just a series of decisions.  All the activity in between them is shaped by our (or someone else's) decisions--where we live, what job we do, how we look, why we feel the way we do, who we are with.  I say inspired because I decided to do what I often don't, act immediately on an idea.  I decided to start this blog.  Not tomorrow, or this weekend, but right now, tonight.  What can it hurt?  No one will probably even see it!  Heck, I've stayed up past midnight playing video games plenty of times, isn't this better than that?

I would like to do a few things with this blog. Firstly I want to document some of the major decisions in my life.  The good ones and the bad ones.  To really think about how I made them and the impact they have had on my life.  I also want to consider the decisions that others have made and how they, too, have impacted my life.  I also want to use this place to talk through why I can't seem to make some of the simplest decisions correctly often enough. I have a great family, am successful enough, and generally have a pretty good life, BUT.  I've always felt that I am capable of more, but I make LOUSY daily decisions--what to eat, what to do with my time, how I treat others, etc.  I'm pretty good at big decisions (or I'm just lucky).  I tend to take my time and be very logical about those kinds of things.  But when it comes to the simple things in life, I constantly make the wrong choices.  I'm lazy, I don't eat right, and I don't exercise.  I'm educated, self-aware (I think), and practical enough.  I KNOW, AS I AM MAKING THEM, what decisions are wrong, but I still make them.  Why?

BEST. DECISION. EVER.
By the time I post this, it will be the anniversary of certainly one of the best decisions I have ever made--marrying my wife 15 years ago.  But that decision was easy!  I had been with her for almost 10 years when we got married.  I had really made that decision long before June 22, 1996!  But what about all the other decisions that led to that point--deciding to move together after college, deciding to switch colleges to be at school with her, deciding that being "just" her friend for months was better than not being around her at all, deciding to harass her into going to Prom with me Senior year (as friends :-(  ), deciding to ask her to homecoming Junior year since she was new and didn't know I was a geek (yet), and, perhaps most importantly, the decision by my Junior English teacher to organize his class by alphabetical order so that my now wife would be seated in the desk right in front of me!!  What if he hadn't done that, would my life be what it is today?

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog...very surprising and introspective. You definitely make a huge majority of good decisions, clearly, and I am still happy you and I both made the decision to be together. Can you imagine this world without Ainsley and Grant? I can't! But you are right that we both need to make better daily decisions and it is hard to do that. I would love to try with you, and maybe together we could be supportive and more successful. Happy Anniversary to my Sweetie! I love you, and I love that you are thinking along the right path and trying to be aware of your decisions. That is something to be proud of. Keep posting, I bet it will help you continue to improve, and thereby help me to do the same!

    ReplyDelete